Thursday, June 26, 2008

Episode 25: How to Hang Pictures Salon-Style

Home decoration is one of those things that seems subjective, but no, it isn't really. There is a right way and then there are all the ways you do it. There are really only about four ways to arrange a bedroom (four walls = four ways ... unless you have a round bed and if that's the case, you probably aren't really concerned with whether the room is arranged properly since your time is completely eaten up by your stripping lessons and visits to the free clinic) and only one of them is the Right Way.

People get picture-hanging wrong all the time. One little nothing - a Hang in There Baby, Friday's Coming kitten, perhaps - hung way too high. It doesn't look special...it looks sad. Look, unless you have a Franz Kline number just sitting around, you don't need to be putting little things alone on big white walls. But since the chances of you being a billionaire art collector are slim, you probably have a bunch of little tiny things all in mismatched frames. Embrace them! Hang them together salon-style! With a tape measure and a few simple tools, you can have your own miniature Louvre right in the living room! Why just last night, I hung this exact configuration at a friend's house (minus the peanut) and it looks like a million bucks, if I do say so myself. Which I just did.

1 comment:

Kitt said...

Amen! I never understand why people hang pictures so high. Makes me want to send them my chiropractic bill. (Not that I go to a chiro, but I'll make one up if I have to.)